Personalization – An Important Element of 21st-Century Travel Industry
In today’s era of digitalization, customers love hyper-personalized services. From e-commerce to travel, every industry needs enriching, tailor-made experiences for their customers to stand out from the crowd. So, in this blog today, we, at Avlon Shiksha Niketan, will elaborate on why personalization is such an essential factor for the travel industry and how it benefits the players who have embraced it well.
- For most customers, the enjoyment of planning a trip is equal to or more than the actual trip itself.
- There are many things in the planning phase that influence their final choice. Personalization of services is one of them.
- Personalization helps customers make informed choices, get prompt customer service, and help in better trip planning.
A vacation is so much more than an actual holiday. It is more about anticipation and planning than the actual time you spend vacationing. What to pack, where to stay, what to eat – these are questions that make the journey from home to the destination exhilarating!
As per studies, most travelers agree that they find equal (if not more) joy in planning a trip as they do on holiday itself. A typical customer journey includes – anticipation about a trip, fancying about a destination, actively planning for the trip, going on the trip, and revisiting the memories after the trip.
The best part is you don’t have to step out of the comfort of your homes to do all this planning! Thanks to the digital age that we live in, everything from bookings to planning out your site-seeing, everything is pretty much on the palm of your hands (literally so)!
In all these stages, people look for personalization in services. Be it the kind of hotel you see on a website (that seems to follow you till you book it) or recommendations on restaurants; there is a vast scope for personalization in the travel and tourism industry.
And, there are excellent reasons why personalization is the key to rapid growth in the travel industry.
66% of customers say they appreciate tailored travel recommendations from OTA (Online Travel Agencies) during their planning phase. And with Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology and digital marketing transforming customer service, it is now very well possible to give one-of-its-kind travel experiences to customers.
At Avlon Shiksha Niketan, a renowned travel and tourism management institute in Kolkata, we firmly believe that when it comes to the travel industry, personalization is the key element that benefits all the stakeholders here, i.e., the tourists and travelers, as well as the hotels, travel agencies, and other people involved. Read on to find out how personalization is helping to transform customer satisfaction in the travel industry. Happy reading!
Why is personalization such an important element in the travel industry?
Before we move on to how OTAs can offer customized experiences to their customers, it’s important to know why such a large percentage of travelers enjoy tailor-made, personalized experiences.
But the question is – what’s there to not like about hyper-personalized services? Whether it is a small gesture of getting you a coffee cup with your name on it or gifting you a pack of souvenirs, everyone loves a personal touch in business transactions. And on that note, here are some reasons why more and more travelers look for and prefer receiving personalized, customizable services.
- Make informed decisions – Imagine planning a trip to Goa with your friends, but all the hotels you see remind you of a romantic getaway. But, what if an AI-powered chatbot asks you, “Who are you traveling with” before showing the best hangout spots around Goa? Wouldn’t that be nice? Well, that’s the power of personalization.
- Makes the difference between good and the best travel agencies – We, humans, always want a little extra than what we pay for. Isn’t it! A complimentary welcome drink or a free airport drop, etc., are all perks that differentiate the average service provider from the best. So, if a travel agency is offering hyper-personal experiences, it means they REALLY want your business. Feels good, right!
How do travel companies benefit from offering personalized services to customers?
With so many travel agencies working in the digital space, there is an ever-growing competition amidst key players. No wonder, there is an increasing need for skilled professionals who understand the importance of personalized customer service. At Avlon Shiksha Niketan, a leading tourism management institute in Kolkata, we always encourage our students to give due significance to understanding the customer needs as it is one of the most important things when it comes to winning customer preference.
Here, we have listed some of the main benefits that travel companies experience by providing personalized services to their customers.
- Gaining an edge over the competition – Customisable packages and tailor-made travel experiences can give a hotel or a travel company an upper hand over those who do not. This adds value to a customer’s decision, making them come back for future travels.
- Better and boosted sales – When a first-time customer becomes a returning customer, it directly reflects on a company’s profits.
- Improved online reputation – In today’s digital era, hyper-personalized services (in any industry) rule the marketplace. It is no different for OTAs. The more personal the service is, the better is the customer feedback, which translates to better reputation and word-of-mouth promotions.
AI-driven personalization is transforming the travel industry
- AI-powered chatbots – They are becoming a rage in today’s world of customer service. They are 80% faster in answering basic questions, provide 24X7 service, and are capable of automating rote tasks like bookings and scheduling.
- Hyper personalized Ad targeting – Platforms like Google AdWords and other remarketing campaigns come with a ton of parameters that you can tweak to show your ads to people who are most likely to convert into leads. Almost 25% of people agree that they make purchase decisions when they see a product or service again and again on the internet.
Even amidst all the negativity due to the COVID-19 pandemic, if there’s one thing that keeps hopes high (well, next to the happiness of the day when this is all over), it is the dream of your favorite travel destination. Be it that infamous Goa trip with college friends or the much-awaited trip to Bali, what can be better if you get your hands on deals that are made just for you, keeping in consideration what your needs and wants are!
No wonder, personalization can work wonders when it comes to delivering the customers/travelers with a kind of experience that they can cherish forever. Those who have recognized the significance of offering personalization in the travel industry are already riding the tide and optimally benefitting from the same. If you too wish to make a remarkable career in the travel industry, it is crucial you know the ins and outs of the arena. And this is where we, at Avlon Shiksha Niketan, a well-known travel and tourism management institute in Kolkata, can help you out. Our professionally designed, industry-centric programs aim to enable the students to ace their customer service game by gaining deep knowledge of the core concepts. Sign up for our travel management course today and get set going towards a rewarding career ahead.